Thursday, January 5, 2012

RUSHING AROUND

We live where the Lansing button is.  Brighton is about
halfway to Livonia.
I feel like I am in the car soooo much!  I get sick of it.  Yesterday was especially crazy.  I drove the boys to school - first to Grand Ledge (about a 15-20 minute drive), then Zhen to his school in Old Town (another 20 min.), then there were some errands to do.  The bank.  The pharmacy.  Back to Zhen's school to pay his tuition. Then to McDonald's to get Anastasia the hotcakes she requested (special treat for therapy day).  Then to therapy - I allow an hour and a half for the trip to Livonia.

An hour of therapy and back to Lansing, just giving me enough time to drop her off at home and head out to Grand Ledge to pick up the boys, then up to Old Town to pick up Zhen, then back home to drop them off.  Then yesterday, I had to take the car in to get a new clamp of some sort put on.  A half hour in the waiting room reading Dan Hughes.

Then to the store, then home to make dinner.  Dinner.  Then off to Williamston to let Anastasia visit a friend (20 min or so, the opposite direction of Grand Ledge) then I needed to drop by my office, so Zhenya could pick up his basketball uniform, then on to his game at Resurrection School - about 7 minutes away.  On the way out Zhenya was in one of his crazy moods, loud, silly raucous.  But, I endured it patiently.  Once we dropped Anastasia off, suddenly he said - "Mom, I feel sick.  I have a terrible headache."  I tried to analyze this - was he fooling around with me?  Or really sick?  Was he really sick, or just coming down from a "silly high"?  I asked a few questions, suggested he just sit quietly and then I ignored it, for the most part, and drove....waiting to see what would transpire.

I was thrilled at how well the timing of this was all going.  I was ready to swing by my office so Zhen could pick up his uniform right at 6:35; he needed to be at Resurrection at 6:45.  I handed him the key so he could get into my office if it was locked. Then I sat in the dark parking lot; I put my head on the steering wheel, and relished the quiet for a moment.  He was back pretty quickly with his stuff; I asked, "Did you remember your shoes?" He answered in his sarcastic voice.  "Right, mom. I forgot my shoes...."  OK, well, it was sort-of a stupid question.

The door slammed, and we were off.  I hadn't heard any more about the "headache" so I said, "OK, Zhen, I'm onto you; you really had me going there for a moment.  You're a good little actor, but I was not going to buy that about you suddenly having a headache after acting like such a clown for the whole ride."  We were cutting it close.  I assured him we'd be on time, then, as we approached the school said, "I'll pull up in front, you hop out!"  But, there were too many cars.  "Just stay in the car; I'll have to go around back, but I'll pull up on the side."  I did this, and said, "You're only a minute late, in you go!"  But, he didn't move.  "Zhen, get moving!"  Nothing.  I glanced back, and it looked like he was lying down.  "Zhen!"  Good heavens.  Had he fallen asleep?!  It hit me that maybe he had had a serious headache!  Had he passed out?!  I jumped out of the car and opened the back door.  He wasn't laying there.  That little twirp! "Zhen, this is not funny!  You get out of there!" and  I pulled aside the blanket in the far back.  No Zhen!  Had he already jumped out?  No.  He would have taken his uniform.  His uniform....  It was still there on the seat.  But there were - no shoes.

Suddenly I realized.  He wasn't being sarcastic!  He really didn't remember his shoes. He'd gone back into the office to get them and I'd driven off!  Good Heavens!  He was back at St. Thomas Aquinas, wondering where I was!!!!   So, I hopped in the car, and headed back to STA.  Half way back I got a call.  Zhen had finally figured out which phone to use (I have two) and how to call me (he had to dial 9).  I assured him I was almost there.  I laughed all the way back, thinking how much conversation I'd had with no one!  What a dummy!

Picked up Zhen, back to Resurrection, and amazingly enough, there were a couple of minutes to spare before the game started.  Despite not warming up, he played pretty well.  They won.

Then it was back out to Williamston to pick up Anastasia, and home again by 9.....only to hear that we had no milk.  So, one more trip out into the world before bed.

Not exactly a typical day, but not a rare one either.  (Except usually, I put in some time at work!)

14 comments:

Tamara said...

Are you going to thump me for giggling?! It sounds SO much like my day...minus leaving the kid behind. :)

Mike and Christie said...

HOLY COW I'm Exhausted! LOL
That story is HILARIOUS....

:)De said...

OK...that was very funny. You may have to start doing like I do..."head count!" LOL!

Tina in CT said...

What a day! Did you think of running away for a few hours of quiet? Why don't you have your husband do half the driving??????

kate said...

That sounds EXHAUSTING! How long until you have another driver in the family?

steph said...

Oh that is so funny!!!

Ciska said...

Hilarious!

MyGirlElena said...

I good a good laugh with Zhen's part of the story :-)
I talk to myself ALL the time. I think I'm talking to my daughter until I hear her talking with tha cat in another room. Grrr!

Elizabeth said...

I had to read this several times to figure out what had really happened! :)

My parents hated giving us rides and would always ask us to "try to get a ride" home, which always made me feel awkward for having to burden other families! Now if I'm visiting they are very quick to offer rides! I guess it's one of those things that's really tiring when you're a parent, but that you'll miss when the kids are grown-up, just because it's a few more minutes together.

Annie said...

Elizabeth - it was an intesting writing challenge, telling what happened, while teying to get the readers to see it from my point of view (the only funny one)...

I do find that I have some really rich times with the kids in the car....one at a time, anyway.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Well, I'm sure that it was confusing for you as well, so it came across well. :)

Hevel Cohen said...

That made my head hurt. Seriously, I thought I spent a lot of time in the car running between my town, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Netanya, but that's nothing compared to what you do!

Jen said...

Ahh, forgotten children. . .they make the funniest stories!