Friday, December 9, 2011

NEWS FLASH FOR KINDLE OWNERS!

I've been reading a very powerful "trauma mama" book - Raising Abel by Carolyn Nash.  It is a gut-wrenching story of a horrifically abused three year old, but at the same time, an inspirational story of the healing love of his therapeutic-foster-mama.  (Hopefully his adoptive mama, but I haven't gotten that far yet.)   One would hardly expect this sort of book to also be full of suspense, but it is, which is one reason I couldn't put it down last night.  As his foster mama wins his love and begins his path of healing, there is still the looming and awful possibility of reunification with his abusive mother....and while working with Abel, his foter mom begins to get glimmers of nightmarish things hidden in her own past, which may give meaning to the way her life has come together. 

Just to say, it is a great read  - and I was even quoting it to my husband this morning, as justificaion for the way I handled things last night.  Ms. Nash's trials were surprising salve to the wounds I was feeling after having undergone one heck of an Ilya's-birthday-induced melt-down after dinner last night.   Every aspect of her interactions with Abel are just so true to the kinds of things those of us who parent children of trauma experience.  I think I'll want to do a "real" review when I finish it, but I just noticed that today only, Raising Abel is FREE for download on Kindle! 

Go for it!

3 comments:

Last Mom said...

Thanks for the alert! I downloaded it this morning.

Masita's Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MMrussianadoption said...

I hope this is still free. sounds like an amazing book. happy holidays