Saturday, January 22, 2011

THE POPCORN BAG???

"Medical Marijuana" has been legalized, and shop after shop has sprung up like mushrooms to meet the demand.....actually, I have to believe that there has to be less demand than could be supplied by the amazing array of new pot-selling storefronts. I am serious - there are a few blocks in various parts of town where there might be three or four of these enterprises easily visible in one glance down a street.

I am happy to believe that marijuana might assist some people with some symptoms of some conditions.  For heaven's sake!  I am the first to admit that my PMS headaches respond by far the best to a slug of straight vodka or gin.  I start feeling better within just a few minutes.  So, I'm not going to complain that marijuana was legalized.  What I  hate is the dis-connect between the "medical" and the "marijuana".  Come on - does this look like a medical establishment?!?  Has a pharmacy ever called itself "The Popcorn Bag"?  And, if they did, would it add to their reputation for trustworthiness and safety?  And what is that "AVAILABLE" stuff?  Actually, I wonder if "DOCTOR" AVAILABLE might not be more like it. 

Why are these establishments not located near the hospitals and medical centers like pharmacies are?  Why are they located, rather, in the seediest sections of town?  I almost used a photo of one facility right next door to the homeless shelter.  Something is wrong.   If I or a family member needed marijuana to help us with a medical condition, does it seem right that we should have to go seek it out in a place that does not appear to be clean and professional?  Why would we have to leave our doctor and head to a crummy part of town to find our treatment? 

"The Popcorn Bag", apart from the name and use of quotation marks on its sign, is actually one of the "nicest" ones I've seen.  Believe it or not.


10 comments:

Tina in CT said...

This is the first I've heard of this. Guess I had my head in the sand. I haven't seen any stores selling it in my area.

MamaPoRuski said...

Wow, I didn't realize your state had gone legal. I had the "joy" of being in California at an outdoor concert where "medical" marijuana was in great use. I learned there were several "flavors" and friends could tell which was which by the lingering smells as people walked by.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

LMAO, the Popcorn Bag, LOL!

Um yeah, sort of lacking in that professional respectability bit.

I didn't know it was legal in MI now too. Hmm, we are really close to the You- p.

kate said...

I didn't know marijuana was legalized, either.

I completely, COMPLETELY agree that if this is for medicinal purposes, it should be treated like medicine--and available at the pharmacy.

Hmmm...you'd think there'd be some sort of licensing required for the suppliers. I'm sure there is a count somewhere of people in your state who are in need of medical marijuana. Do you need a 'scrip for it? I would think so...

Oi.

Hevel said...

I used medical marijuana in California, and that was the only period during my combined 11 years of cancer treatments that I wasn't feeling constantly miserable. I wasn't high, but I wasn't alternating being violently sick and projectile vomiting with barely having the energy to turn over in bed.

It did bother me, however, that I had to go to less than desirable locations to get it. The reason behind it is that it takes time to grow marijuana, so not too many hospitals or pharmacies had it on hand. Then I found a cute little hippie bookstore where I could get it.

Rachael said...

Funny, but the thing that made me laugh (before I read your comment) was the "available" part. Why the quotation marks???

Mike and Christie said...

Michigan is legal? Wow.

I feel the same way about alcohol in Texas. If you want to purchase whiskey, you have to drive to the seedy part of town to buy it, and walk in this store that sells NOTHING but liquor. I hate that. In CA, they sell it in the grocery store and at every little liquor/grocery store. But not here. Makes me crazy.

Mike and Christie said...

I have never used marajuana.... but would possibly consider it, for my arthritis and other issues, if it were ever legalized.

MyGirlElena said...

My mother took it when she got really sick. I remember she didn't like the side effects, but don't recall what they were. Since i've never trired it, I'm assuming it's probably something that is completley overrated and people just want it because it's prohibited.

:)De said...

I've said before that I think I am the last person to ever know what is going on so imgine my surprise when I drive down one of those streets that has 3-4 stores all clumped in the same neighborhood. Later that night... one of the places that I noticed was robbed at gunpoint and lost 2 pounds of marijuana. Like that was not a crime just waiting to happen. Oh well.