Saturday, September 5, 2009

OUR FAMILY'S BIG SUMMER VACATION





OK..... Perhaps it could be called

SOME OF US HAD A FUN OVERNIGHT

The summer "travel allowance" such as it was, went primarily to Sergei's cadet camp, however for the combined kids' birthday gift, my mom gave us money for a weekend at a water park and on Thursday after school we headed to beautiful Sterling Heights (I promise you, there could be no greater exaggeration) to the "best indoor water park in Michigan". I'm not certain where I read that, but I'm thinking it must have been on their website.

Actually, the water park was fun. It was better than any I've ever been to .... though I suppose that isn't saying much, and with only a tiny bit of imagination I can picture better ones existing even in Michigan. Let's just say that Anastasia and Zhenya had a wonderful time. And, I had a great time, too. I surprised them both by - for the first time in over fifteen years - appearing in a swim suit. I waited until 9 a.m. on Friday morning, thinking (rightly) that the area would not be very populated. But once "in" I was in 100%. I went down the water slide over and over again. I'm so glad I braved it the first time (almost didn't) because it was a blast. And I enjoyed the little "lazy river" area that Zhen is pictured in. I had a super-fun time in the vortex!

And my "littles" got a lot of fun out of having me join them.

Sergei managed to hurt his back during our one-hour's visit on Thursday night so didn't even go in on Friday to my disappointment.

To my greater disappointment, Ilya didn't come at all....and he is the one who probably loves swimming better than anyone. It made me so sad!

When I got home on Thursday, he had been looking around for his swim trunks, apparently, but - as is the very weird case with Ilya - sleep overtook him. Yes; the sleep issues are still with us. Sergei was doing his best to keep him awake, but by the time I got in there, it was no go.

When Ilya goes to sleep no one can wake him. You can literally (I have done it on a school day) throw him to the floor and he will not awaken. I was so peeved at him for allowing himself to go to sleep like that. Yet, there was nothing we could do but leave him. He was still conscious enough that he was batting at us and yelling at us as we tried to physically rouse him. It is a crazy phenomenon. I know - at least I am pretty sure - he wanted to go. He is always asking to go swimming... Yet, I also know he is afraid of new things, and afraid of lots of people. Perhaps there was too much of the "unknown" in the vacation scheme.... I honestly cannot figure it out.

He knew I'd be upset, so when we came home - another self-penance! The kitchen, dining room and living room were as tidy as they could be. Poor kid....staying home cleaning house instead of going on the "vacation" that I selected especially for him.

Obviously, for me this "sleep" event hangs ominously over the anticipated beginning of school as well.......

15 comments:

Nora said...

I wanna see a pix of you in your swimsuit!!! I've never seen you NOT in a dress and all proper! :)

Elena's Mom said...

Bathing Suit Picture!
Bathing Suit Picture!
Water parks are a blast! I'm so glad you braved it and had a good time :-)

Milena said...

Poor Ilya! Have you any idea what causes his problems? To me it sounds like something that should be checked up!

Christine said...

More pics please! :)

Tina in CT said...

Who stayed home with Ilya while you all were away at the water park/hotel? I've never heard of sleep problems like that. How awful.

I'd never allow bathing suit pictures of me. Probably the last ones were from my Bermuda anniversary trip when I was a size 7 and Tami was in 3rd (or 4th grade).

Glad it was a fun time at the water park. You deserve it.

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

If I can put several pics of me in my bathing suit on my blog, so can you!
(And no one go look...)
:)

Elizabeth said...

Your mentioning the advertisement made me smile because there was a similar piece on the radio today about superlatives in advertising. The ____-est ________ in the ______!

That's so sad about Ilya, but I was afraid at first it had been a behavior problem. I'm glad it wasn't deliberate. Poor guy.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

I love the lazy river! My favorite!
The sleep problem sounds a lot like Genea when she disassociates. Her pscyh called it playing possum. She would go into a trance like state and would have no reactions to anything, for up to about 30 minutes. Then, if left alone she would fall asleep and she was out like a rock. No getting her up, for anything. So it happened like that in the psych office, she got really scared one time. I had to carry her to the car and buckle her in and she is still like a rock. I get in and start the car and go to pull away, and all of a sudden clear as a bell "can I have my candy now" wide awake and conscious, connecting the dots as well.
It sounds as if your son has a similar coping mechanism.

MamaPoRuski said...

I had the same problem in high school. If I was stressed in anyway I fell asleep. At least I knew to put myself to bed! He will grow out of it! Of course, I find myself sleepy now too, but I think it's from burning the candle at both ends...

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

No bathing suit pictures will be forthcoming. The fact that I appeared in an anonymous hotel in an anoymous city in one is quite enough for one decade.

I worry about the sleeping. I wanted to bring it up at his last doctor's appointment, but he missed his last doctor's appointment - because he fell asleep.

I'm wondering if we have some sort of sleep/stress continuum here....

Mamaporuski on one end and Genea on the other... Ilya is somewhere in the middle.

Any hints on strategies for a cure?

Nora said...

Wait! I have a good idea...just take a photo of the suit! Was it flowery? A little dress? One of those old fashioned bloomer suits???

Annie said...

Pretty close there on the last guess Nora....

Rachael said...

Probably he is too heavy to just carry to the car asleep? If I could lift him, that's what I would have done, I think.

One day modest bathing suit in a strange city, the next week she'll be skinny dipping. Watch out! hehe.

Fioleta said...

Poor Ilya, maybe better luck next time. Great that the rest of you had fun.